Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shopping at the Souk on Saturday Evening

It is good to be back home again. I enjoyed my visit with family in friends while I was in the US. Three weeks of winter was definitely enough for me!

There is always new adventures in Doha. Jim and I went to the Souk last weekend. As we approach the parking lot, there is a man at the ticket machine that presses the button and hands me a ticket for parking. The man is wearing a FBI cap! It had to be a knock off, or at least I hope so.

We were looking around at furniture and found this little table, which we were thinking we could use for an end table in our living room. After very little bargaining, we walked away with this table for 150 QR ($41.00)! It is solid wood and very heavy, it looks like mahogany. It is hand carved with brass inlays. When the guy in the market pulled the table all the way out, we discovered that it had an extended piece with 3 holes in it. It completely comes apart and is held together with wooden screws. I think maybe it was probably a tea caddy, but the very bottom piece is missing, which is why he sold it so cheap. However, it is a beautiful table and it definitely will serve our purpose. I will take photos of it and post them soon.

We also went to the pet section to get a pump for a fountain. The pet section is interesting, but also a bit depressing. I saw a Qatari woman pick up a cockatiel and the bird totally loved this woman. She held it close to herself and the bird rested it's head on her chest. I think she bought the bird! Smart bird!

It is always interesting to visit the souk, especially on the weekend. The Qataris love the souk. It is interesting to watch them and how they interact with other people, especially the women.

No comments:

Post a Comment